Setting up your Windows PC to send email properly
If Outbound Mail is Bouncing Back
If you're getting something like
"Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname; from=<email@example.com> to=<firstname.lastname@example.org> proto=SMTP helo=<WSPEGGY>"
The sender's workstation may be incorrectly configured. The helo=<WSPEGGY> should look something like helo=<wspeggy.example.com>
How to Modify your station name into a fully qualified name
- Right-click and select properties from the "My Computer" icon
- Select the "Computer Name" tab
- Click on the Change button which will bring up a new window labeled "Computer Name Changes"
- Click on the "More" button
- Under the "Primary DNS suffix of this computer:" the client will need to type in their domain name (example.com).
- Click the "OK" button
- Restart the computer if necessary